Saturday, November 26, 2011

CLAW Great Yearly Ceremony Invite!


Each year, The CLAW (Cartoonist's League of Absurd Washingtonians), which is the super-semi-secret-society I belong to here in Tacoma, holds their "Great Yearly Ceremony", where new Four-Eye Council Members, inducted and presentations are made, rituals are performed...and, of course, cake is eaten! One of these presentations is the awarding of "Friend of CLAW" Honorary Fezzes to persons who have contributed significantly to the aid or interests of The CLAW during the previous year.

One such recipient is Mr. Jamison E. Pantley, who has been a supporter of The CLAW in the past, but truly surpassed the past in 2011 when he contributed a large sum toward a fundraising event (and ultimately toward the CLAW Scholarship Fund) at Comic Book Ink a few months ago. His generous donation to the cause made it possible to reach our goal, and because of that he was voted to receive one of the prized Leopard Fezzes!

I volunteered...OK, insisted on creating his invitation (traditionally created by a member of the 4-Eye Council anyway) so that I could try and do something special for him! This is what I came up with: "Indianda Panda"!

Above is a photo of me holding the final piece taken by Edmund Stockham, friend and professional photographer. All the photos are taken by Mr. Stockham and are displayed with my appreciation.




Here I am, posing with the recipient of my paper sculpture invitation to the CLAW's Great Yearly Ceremony, to receive his official "Friend of CLAW" Honorary Fez, Jamison E. Pantley! I hope he was as pleased with the artwork as he seemed to be with the signal honor of being made a "Friend of CLAW"! He certainly seemed to like it, and I'm glad!






Fellow (and founding) CLAW member, Mark Monlux joined me at Comic Book Ink to make a nice little ceremony out of the presentation of the Invitation! In these images Mr. Monlux, Jamison and I mug for posterity.




This is how the final image turned out. I'm holding it slightly sideways to give a feel for the dimensionality of it. All in all, I was pleased with the results!




This was the original sketch I did that the final art was based on. I really didn't do any other prep work, I just started building it based entirely on this, which I think keeps it fairly loose and spontaneous.

2 comments: